“Not many things stimulate the brain the way music does. Keeping your brain engaged throughout the aging process, listening to or playing music is a great tool to use. Its like working out, but for the brain.”
Many reaserchers have proven that listening to music or singing songs can provide an emotional and behavioral benefit for people with Alzheimer’s disease and other types of dementia. People have musical memories that are often preserved in Alzheimer’s disease because key brain areas linked to musical memory are relatively undamaged by the disease.
“You Are My Sunshine” is a great song to use for musical memory.
What Can Music Improve?
- Can improve language and speech skills
- Music can reduce, and may even prevent symptoms of dementia and cognitive decline
- Has been proven to lower stress and anxiety levels
- Improves your quality of sleep
- Boosts creativity and productivity
- Can promote faster healing
- Help’s with pain management
- Helping with memory processing and recall